Covid-19 concerns during a home inspection
Covid-19 has impacted businesses across the country and we are here to provide you with important information concerning home inspections during this crisis.
A home inspection is a vital part of a home purchase, and homes are still being bought and sold. In fact, the real estate sector and related services such as home inspections have been included in the Financial Services Sector: Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers here in Montana [view statement from the Dept. of the Treasury].
At the current time [as of the posting of this topic 3-30-2020] we continue to provide home inspections during the COVID-19 outbreak. Be assured that prudent safety precautions are practiced and when performing inspections and those are not to conflict with any government orders and recommendations.
Current inspection practices follow recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Montana Department of Health and ASHI [American Society of Home Inspectors] COVID-19 Guidelines. People should be aware that the situation is changing constantly and should monitor the CDC & ODH for official updates and recommended behavior.
Recommendations for the Buyer and their Real Estate Agent:
- Do not attend the inspection. If you wish to attend, do so only at the end of the inspection and practice social distancing, remaining at least 6 feet apart from one another.
- If you choose not to be present at the inspection due to the concerns of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), I’ve got you covered! The detail in my report will make you feel as if you were there for the inspection. I will follow up with a call to discuss the home inspection report.
- Do not attend the inspection if you feel sick, or if you exhibit symptoms of a respiratory illness. Contact your medical provider.
- Do not bring children, relatives, contractors, and others to the inspection.
- Use hand sanitizer before entering and before leaving the home. Avoid touching your face.
- Touch as few things in the home as possible.
Recommendations for the Seller:
- Reschedule the inspection if anyone in the home feels sick, or exhibits symptoms of a respiratory illness. Contact your medical provider.
- Do not attend the inspection. Make arrangements for relatives, and others to be out of the home during the inspection.
- Wipe bathroom and kitchen fixtures, toilet handles, and doorknobs with a sanitizing wipe before the inspection. Be sure the wipe instructions allow use on the surface.
- Before I leave the inspection, I will also be using sanitizing wipes to wipe down items that may have been touched during the inspection.
I’m happy to answer any questions about Covid-19 concerns during a home inspection.
Please feel free to contact me. 406-885-1325